UEA midwives leg it for Leeway

A pair of midwifery students are set to once again show that UEA and its students really are wonderful, when they take part in the Brighton marathon in April. Hannah Pretten and Emily Wilson have decided to take on the 26 mile challenge in aid of Leeway, a Norfolk based domestic abuse charity.

Hannah and Emily worked with Leeway while on placement at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital (NNUH), last year. It was here that they were able to see first- hand the great work the charity does and the help they provide, inspiring them both to want to raise money for Leeway.

Emily said “we decided to run for Leeway as during our training as student midwives we have come across many women who have been exposed to domestic abuse and therefore recognise the invaluable work Leeway do in supporting women and their families.”

Established in 1974, Leeway provides advice and support for anyone who feels as though they might be a victim of domestic violence, be it physical, sexual or psychological. Leeway also aims to remove the stigma still present surrounding violence in home or family environments; the charity’s website stresses that anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse and that more and more people are starting to speak out.

In 2017 alone, Leeway assisted over 9,000 people, a 30 percent increase in demand for their services from the previous year.

As well as this, Leeway also helps to train those in the health services, like Hannah and Emily, to notice any signs of domestic abuse amongst their patients.

When they spoke to Concrete, Hannah and Emily both stressed that while they have been keen to fit in time for the marathon, it’s been hard to take fit in around their already busy work schedule.

Emily said, “We both go to the gym and try and fit in a few runs a week, though it’s been hard balancing twelve hour shifts with running.”

In terms of why they choose to run the marathon in Brighton, Emily said that she and Hannah had looked at numerous marathon locations around the UK, but that “unlike many, Brighton you don’t have to enter a ballot for, so we both knew we would be guaranteed a place.”

Hannah also commented that her “main reason for Brighton, was that I thought it may have less hills, however looking at it more closely, I may have been mistaken.”

Leeway hopes that fundraisers such as and the great work by Hannah and Emily, will not only raise money for the charity but also raise awareness for the issue. The chief executive, Mandy Proctor applauded Hannah and Emily’s commitment, stating “I would like to thank them for choosing Leeway and also encourage people to support their fundraising efforts.”

With the run still over three months away, the midwifery students have impressively raised over £100 already. While the pair don’t have a specific target, Emily has stated they want to raise “as much as possible” and that “as little as £20 can make a lifesaving difference.”

For anyone who wants to donate to the girl’s effort and to the great cause which is Leeway, will be able to find their JustGiving page online, or can text HANE88 with your donation (£) to 700700.

16/01/2018

danielcook