Featured Posts, News

UEA announces new Vice-Chancellor

Professor David Richardson has been announced as the University of East Anglia’s next Vice-Chancellor.

david richardson web (1)

Photo: UEA

Prof Richardson is currently the Deputy Vice-Chancellor and a Professor of Bacterial Biochemistry at UEA. He will succeed Professor Edward Acton who retires his post in September 2014.

After arriving at UEA in 1991 as a lecturer in the school of Biological Sciences, Professor Richardson went on to hold various positions at the university such as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research, Enterprise & Engagement. In 2012 he became the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

Professor Richardson commented: “I am delighted and honoured to have been appointed as UEA’s next Vice-Chancellor. UEA has played an important part in my working life and I am determined to take it from strength to strength. It has established its position in the top 20 of UK Universities and we will continue that upward trajectory. With our partners on the Norwich Research Park we have attracted significant government funding and look forward to bringing new business and employment opportunities to the region.”

Richard Jewson, Chairman of UEA Council, said: “I am confident that David’s outstanding leadership qualities and research experience will make him an excellent successor to Edward Acton. David’s drive, energy and commitment to UEA shone through at interview and I and my fellow members of Council look forward to working with him in his new role.”

Brian Summers, UEA Registrar and Secretary, said: “We are delighted by Council’s decision to appoint Prof Richardson as Vice-Chancellor. David’s impressive career at UEA, both in research and as part of the Executive Team, will stand him in good stead to navigate the university through the challenges and opportunities of a rapidly changing Higher Education sector.”

Communications officer of the Union of UEA Students, Rosie Rawle, said: “We congratulate David Richardson on his appointment, and look forward to working together to ensure that UEA remains Number 1 for Student Experience.”

The 49 year old Norwich City fan is also a member of the Governing Council of the UK Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) and of the Norwich Research Park LLP. In 1999 he was awarded the Fleming medal in recognition of the notable work he has completed in his field.

In his new role, Professor Richardson will position UEA internationally, nationally and regionally; providing strategic leadership in the process.

22/01/2014

andrewansell

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930