UEA offers to release students from paying rent because of coronavirus

UEA has offered students living in University accommodation the chance to end their rent contracts early owing to coronavirus. The pandemic has resulted in many students returning home early. In an email to students living on campus and in the Village the University said: “We understand that many students have decided to return home given the current situation, and therefore UEA has agreed to offer students the opportunity to be released from their accommodation license if they wish. 

“For students who would like to remain living in UEA accommodation, you are of course welcome to do so – we will continue to provide all cleaning, maintenance, security and support services as far as possible.”

Students who want to end their contract early will need to leave their rooms by April 19 and return a completed termination of licence form along with their keys to the accommodation office.

Many students who are already at home may be concerned they will be unable to remove all their belongings from the flat, a requirement of the contract termination, owing to the UK lockdown Boris Johnson announced earlier this week. Although the University did not address this point directly, UEA added students should contact them if they would like to leave their rooms but cannot do so.

Earlier this month UEA suspended all face-to-face teaching and announced all exams and summatives would take place online. Following the announcement of the UK lockdown, UEA confirmed it had closed the University library, one of the last University facilities to remain open on campus.

25/03/2020

Henry Webb