A grant of £68,400 has been donated to The Norwich Historic Churches Trust (NHCT) by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to create an exciting festival dedicated to celebrating Norwich’s medieval churches.

The festival, titled Flintspiration, will be a weekend of interesting activities designed to encourage the public to explore religious buildings.

The event will run from Saturday April 29th to Monday 1 May 2017. It will include performances, guided walks, church trails and child-friendly fun. St Stephen’s Church will provide a particular family-friendly focus, presenting the trails for children and rewards for completion.

The project director of Flintspiration and vice-chairman of NHCT, Neil Blunt, commented that the weekend would reflect on the churches’ historical role within Norwich and the significance they hold as heritage sites.

He stated: “We are thrilled to receive this support from the Heritage Lottery Fund, which will help us celebrate Norwich’s fascinating medieval past.

“We are planning a varied programme of events and hope to have something for everyone to enjoy and explore, whether they are visiting a church for the first or fiftieth time.”

To ensure the project goes smoothly, the NHCT is collaborating with the University of East Anglia, Norwich Cathedral, Norwich City Council, Norfolk Museums Service and other partners.

Robyn Llewellyn, Head of the Heritage Lottery Fund in the  East of England, commented: “As one of the country’s largest cities during medieval times, and with a wealth of that heritage still intact, Norwich provides an outstanding glimpse into our medieval past. Thanks to money raised by National Lottery players we’re pleased to support this project as it celebrates the city, its churches and communities.”