UEA produces own electricity

UEA is moving towards reducing its carbon footprint by producing its own energy to power and heat the campus facilities.

They have invested £4.5 million into low carbon-emission engines. This is the first time that the university has used their own electricity, without relying on the National Grid.

Fully functioning since October 2017, UEA’s new Combined Heat and Power (CHP) engines have efficiently powered the campus during the weekend, when multiple buildings are not in use.

Natural gas is used to allow the engines to function properly, unlike a standard power station, which tends to employ alternative methods of powering a building. According to statistics released by the university, the CHP engines are approximately 20-30 percent more efficient than gas power stations.

Generating electricity on-site prevents energy being lost through transportation from a power station to campus.

This is an economically viable way of saving UEA a large amount of money as it is expected to only take the university five years to recover these energy costs.

Phillip Hunt, Head of Sustainability at UEA, said: “Our campus has 85 buildings with 275,000 square meters of floor area. It’s important that we introduce this sort of technology to make our campus more efficient, sustainable and affordable for years to come.”

13/02/2018

bethpapworth

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3