The former equality and diversity champion of the men’s rugby team was involved in an assault with a member of the public on Prince Wales Road earlier this year and has been sentenced at Norwich Crown Court.

Alistair Zeffertt, a 19-year-old, second-year History student, became involved in an altercation earlier this year. The victim, a serving soldier, had been ejected from a Prince of Wales Road nightclub when he first came in contact with Zeffertt.

The court heard how, according to the prosecuting lawyer Chris Youell, there was a disagreement between the pair that quickly escalted into a physical confrontation.

Youell said that Zeffertt became aggressive after being told to “kill himself” by the victim. Zeffertt then proceeded to carry out what was described as a “sustained assault”.

The attack took place on Cathedral Street, just off of the Prince of Wales road, in the early hours of the morning on 5th June this year.

Assaults on Prince of Wales are extremely commonplace in comparrison to the rest of Norwich. Since 2005, there has been a reported 210% rise in the number of violent crimes reported in Norwich between 03:00 and 06:00, the typical leaving times for clubbers. According to Norwich City Council, the Prince of Wales Road accounts for 60% of all reported violent crime Norwich.

Court documents indicate that the victim was punched at least six times during the attack, which led to him being knocked to the floor. Zeffertt then proceeded to kick the victim in the head. He continued the attack despite efforts by his friends to pull him away.The victim suffered a black eye, a chipped tooth, and abrasions to the face.

Zeffertt admitted causing Actual Bodily Harm in interview earlier this year and, according to reports in the Eastern Daily Press, sobbed as the judge read out his sentence.

Richard Wood, the defence lawyer, told that court that Zeffertt’s actions were “hugely out of character” for the defendant, who has “no previous convictions” and had demonstrated remorse throughout.

Zeffertt was sentenced to a 12-month community order of 200 hours unpaid community work, who told Zeffertt that he should be “ashamed” of his actions, but added that he would “destroy” his life by giving him a custodial sentence, recognising that Zeffertt had shown “considerable remorse” and that the offense was out of character.

Zeffertt was also made the subject of a three-month prohibited activity order, banning him from going to Prince of Wales Road between 19:00 and 07:00.

3 COMMENTS

1. Was this necessary to title it with men’s rugby when the rugby team had nothing to do with it?

• Well, yes, given the track record of UEA rugby when it comes to this sort of thing. Though I’m not sure why ‘sustained’ was so integral to the headline – ‘attack’ will do the job, chaps.