UEA scientist awarded grant to conduct crucial research

Dr Lindsay Hall, a lecturer at the University of East Anglia’s medical school and a researcher at the Institute of Food Research, has received a ‘New Investigator’ award. The award will provide £1.3 million of financial assistance to carry out independent research at the Norwich Research Park.

Photo: ifr.ac.uk

Dr Hall provided an insight into her specialism by commenting: ‘when we are born our gut is completely free of bacteria. Early life is when the colonisation of the gut by microbes starts but exactly how and why this happens is not fully understood yet.

‘This grant will help carry out vital investigations into how certain bacteria come to be present in the gut, the long term results of antibiotics and if there is a better solution to treat infectious diseases such as bacterial gastroenteritis.’

The project’s findings will illuminate an area deficient in research. With gastroenteritis in babies becoming a growing problem along with issues surrounding the current remedy of antibiotics, Dr Hall will make a valuable contribution to her field.

The substantial financial support for Dr Hall’s crucial research is the latest boost to UEA science. Earlier this summer it was announced that researchers at the University is to receive a £2 million programme grant from the National Institute of Health Research to examine ways to improve hospital car for people with dementia. The guidelines produced from the five year programme will be implemented throughout the National Health Service under a four year trial.

16/08/2013

andrewansell

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031