UEA sets out new guidelines on incoming students for new 2020/21 academic year

The University of East Anglia have outlined new guidelines for incoming students for the 2020/21 academic year. The guidelines come as the UK government announces new measures concerning the easing of lockdown regulations.

The introduction of new sanitizer stations across campus and a ‘step up’ to cleaning are just some measures to be introduced. A one-way system will be introduced on the UEA campus to ensure that social distancing practices remain at the forefront of the university policy for the next academic year.

In terms of academic teaching, no large-scale lectures will be held this term, with face to face learning consisting of small group ‘workshops’ and ‘seminar’ activities or laboratory sessions. The University also stated that new students will have contact with lecturers and academic staff online and on campus ‘with around 37.5 hours of taught and self-paced learning every week’.

Other measures being introduced focus around the wellbeing of students with the launch of a new ‘welcome app’. These measures come in the wake of four deaths within ten months related to mental health issues as of March 2019. There will also be ‘peer mentoring and support’ for incoming students, and campus accommodation is provided for all prospective students of the new academic year.

UEA has said that these measures are flexible and subject to change regarding the government’s coronavirus policy. The university encourages prospective students to check UEA’s website regularly to keep up to date with the measures and to ensure that their transition to university life is as safe as possible.

30/06/2020

Samuel Woolford