Campus safe sex station vandalised

The safe sex station in Union House has been closed down pending relocation as a result of several incidents of vandalism and the theft of over 1,000 condoms last week.

Safe Sex - Philip ThomasPhoto: Philip Thomas.

The culprits, who witnesses believe to be students from City Academy, allegedly vandalised the station on several occasions between Friday 8 and Tuesday 12 February. They reportedly damaged leaflets, chlamydia tests, condoms and lube, including littering stolen condoms from campus along Bluebell Road towards Tesco.

The station was restocked following vandalism last weekend, only to be attacked again on Monday evening.

A group of young teenagers wearing City Academy uniform then returned to the station on Tuesday evening and were asked to leave by Union security.
The Safe Sex station is part of a scheme on campus that has given out over 8,000 free condoms at UEA since November.

The Union’s LGBT+ Officer Richard Laverick spoke to Concrete, expressing his dismay at the “childish” behaviour of the perpetrators, commenting that it was “a shame that this facility for our students has to be closed down temporarily because of non-students.”

Laverick added that he has written to the Head Teacher of the Academy requesting an apology, and is in the process of relocating the station to “somewhere quiet, discrete, but also accessible.”

19/02/2013

elizabethjackson

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031