UEA shortlisted for prestigious awards

The final shortlist for the Times Higher Education Awards includes the University of East Anglia in four categories, including University of the Year.

uea_header

The institution chosen as the University of the Year will have demonstrated its exceptional performance in the past academic year. The University of East Anglia’s particularly bold, imaginative and innovative initiatives that have advanced the University’s reputation explain its nomination in this category.

Co-ordinated efforts between Professor Aedin Cassidy, of the University of East Anglia Norwich Medical School, and colleagues at the Harvard School of Public health in the area of nutrition research could see the University of East Anglia pick up another award, for International Collaboration of the Year. Judges will assess evidence of creative collaborations and imaginative communication of research results in making their decision.

Another joint work, this time between UEA’s School of Chemistry and Swedish Biomimetics 3000 has been shortlisted for the Outstanding Contribution to Innovation and Technology award. The institutions’ collaboration have produced a new platform technology for personalising medicine, named PersonaPep.

The University’s fourth nomination stems from September 2012 when University of East Anglia introduced highland cows onto the outskirts of the campus as a sustainable way of managing the diverse flora and fauna of the fenland, flood plain and meadows that form parts of the University’s 300 acre estate. This has been recognised as by the award convenors as warranting a place in the final shortlist for an award in the Outstanding Contribution to Sustainable Development category.

Vice-Chancellor Prof Edward Acton said: “I am delighted that yet again our institution has been recognised on the national stage as one of the best in the country in such a wide variety of categories. This is proving to be a most successful year for UEA and a wonderful way to celebrate our 50th anniversary. I hope our success continues at the awards ceremony in November and provides us with a springboard into the next half century.”

The raft of nominations for Times Higher Education Awards is recognition of the University’s commitment to research excellence in addition to the University’s strength in depth. This comes after a successful summer for the University of East Anglia. Earlier in the year the University was ranked number one in the Times Higher Student Experience Survey and second among English mainstream universities in the 2013 National Student Survey. The summer further saw the University’s science department awarded extensive grants to carry out crucial research.

The winners of the 18 nominated categories will be announced at a ceremony in London on 28 November.

20/09/2013

andrewansell

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031