UEA Sport round-up

It’s been another action-packed fortnight for UEA’s sports teams as the season reaches a climax for many and thoughts begin to turn towards Derby Day.

A number of clubs have been using the end of the season as a chance to host various charity and fundraising events in the LCR, many of which have given UEA’s sportspeople the chance to compete in disciplines they might not be so familiar with, cheered on by their friends and team mates.

UEA Dancesport hosted their annual ‘UEA Strictly’ event, with the final dance off won by Baseball and Softball’s Sam Forrest with his Dancesport partner Katherine Ingram. UEA MMA constructed a cage in the LCR and hosted their ‘Rumble in the Concrete Jungle’, UEA Football hosted their quiz ‘Are You Smarter than a Footballer’, and UEA Netball hosted ‘I’m a President, Get Me Out of Here’, based on the famed TV show, which was won by women’s Football President Camilla Morgan after a number of rounds on the LCR stage including an eating challenge and lip sync battle. You can read more about UEA Angels’ ‘So You Think You Can Cheer Dance?’ event on page 22.

UEA Rowing have held a 24 hour continuous row. They have already raised over £1,000 for Norwich Foodbank, with donations still being accepted online.

UEA Tap have also been busy fundraising. They raised a total of more than £200 for the Norfolk LGBT+ Project with a variety of activities during February’s LGBT History Month and have kept up activities since, including a flash mob in the Hive, meaning the total now stands at over £300.

UEA Sport and the SU held a fun colour run, where participants were able to enjoy campus with the addition of powder paint.

The fancy dress Potter Legacy Cup Rugby match was a success at Colney Lane, as previewed on Concrete online. Organised by UEA Sport and the university’s Rugby clubs, it raised money for The Brain Tumour Charity and local charity Moth in a China Shop, in memory of David Potter, UEA men’s Rugby president 1982-83, who passed away from a brain tumour in 2015.

It has been a busy two weeks for UEA Dancesport. As well as hosting UEA Strictly, the club held a bake sale and Easter hamper raffle in the Hive which raised over £75 for Comic Relief. Back on the dancefloor, a number of members travelled south for the Kent competition. It was a huge success for UEA, with 26 finalists and 55 callbacks in total.

Several UEA Snow members travelled to Leeds to compete in the BUCS national finals after their successful qualifiers in Milton Keynes last month, with some superb performances. After winning his qualifier in Milton Keynes, Fintan Corcoran came third in the country in Ski Freestyle. The Ski Race duals team of Ethan Russell, Indra Drabbe, Charlotte Payne, Charlie Howe and Jack Roberts placed sixteenth in the country and made history as the first ever UEA team to qualify for the finals.

Elsewhere, UEA Swimming travelled to Sheffield last week to compete in the BUCS team event. UEA Squash capped a successful season by taking a club trip to Canary Wharf to watch how the pros do it – keep an eye on our website for a full round-up of their BUCS and local league successes this year.

There has been more success for UEA Tap, Ballet and Dance Squad at their Manchester competition, the second of the season. Ballet again placed first in the Advanced category and Mion Yu won her second competition-wide ‘best female’ crown of the year. Their final competition was on Sunday in Northampton, Concrete will be reporting on what will hopefully have been the conclusion of a very successful year for the three clubs.

After a 4-2 away win under the floodlights at Fakenham Town Reserves, UEA men’s football sit second in the Anglian Combination Division 1, three points behind leaders Mundford with a game in hand. Goals came from man of the match Tomasz Siemienczuk, Henry Clark, Ben George and Mohammed Hassan. The week before, a strike from man of the match Clark had helped UEA draw one apiece with the table toppers to keep up momentum in their push for the title.

A 4-0 win at home to second placed Warwick in their final BUCS match of the season saw UEA’s men stretch out their winning margin in Midlands 2A and complete an unbeaten BUCS league season. Ryan Swift netted a hat-trick and Hassan scored the other to see UEA finish eight points clear in the table.

The reserves have reached the FDC final of the local CS Morley Cup, after beating favourites Dussindale Rovers 1-0 away in the semi-final thanks to a Jordan Cornes goal. Goalkeeper Callum Honess was named man of the match for his display.

In women’s Football, the seconds picked up a huge 12-0 home win against De Montfort’s second string. Man of the match Claire Weekes and Holly Connell scored four apiece, with braces from Ally Paton and Hannah Binning completing the scoring. They followed this up with a 1-0 win away to champions Nottingham thirds to finish their BUCS Midlands 4A campaign in second spot, with the top three all on 21 points having lost only one game each. Connell netted the winner in Nottingham, with Hana Adler and captain Emily Cockrill in goal named UEA’s star players.

Tomorrow, UEA women’s Volleyball team travel to Nottingham to represent UEA at BUCS’ Big Wednesday event, playing their national Trophy final against Glasgow. The event is the culmination of many of BUCS’ elite sporting competitions and is promised to be the biggest ever, celebrating 100 years of university sport. Volleyball tickets for spectators cost £5 and are available from the BUCS website.

The Volleyball club also recently hosted a successful mixed tournament at the Sportspark which saw 10 teams enter.

UEA Angels Cheer Stunt team placed ninth at BCA in Derby, their third and final comp of the season.

President Emily Roe said: ‘I’m so proud of the girls again for a brilliant performance! It wasn’t quite the result we expected but there was a lot of tough competition at BCA compared to the other competitions and we performed well despite the pressure.

‘We’re now looking forward to Derby Day and are confident for a win!’

There have been further developments on UEA’s English Universities internationals, with the university now having two sportsmen competing in their summer’s home international tournaments after being selected for the full England teams following regional trials.

Ben George and Travis Payne, captains of men’s Football and Lacrosse respectively, will join up with their national teams later in the year.

UEA men’s Lacrosse top scorer Payne said he was ‘ecstatic’ to be chosen.

He continued: ‘There were some great players [at the national trials] who were really savvy with their hands and had been playing longer than me, but I just made sure I was the hardest worker on the field and here we are.

‘The hard work has paid off!’

With Derby Day just over a month away, attention is naturally turning to the event which will take place across campus on 1st May. Concrete will be running a number of online previews for it. Look out for interviews with various UEA sporting figures, a full Derby Day preview, plus special features on UEA Football and the swansong for Lacrosse’s Golden Generation.

07/06/2019

Tony Allen

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31