Featured Posts, Sport

UEA sport round-up – 12th January 2016

[su_box title=”UEA Ladies 4s Hockey 2 – 0 Pelican 3s” box_color=”#2D2D73″ radius=”0″]Last Saturday (9th January) marked the first win for the UEA 4s ladies hockey team against top of the league team, Pelican 3s.

After a drive to King’s Lynn, we ended up having only 20 minutes to get changed and warm up so we did not have much time to talk about tactics or practice short corners. Considering Pelicans are at the top of the league and have won six out of eight games we expected a tough match and did not even consider that winning would be a possibility.

We started the match very well and dominated play from the beginning which surprised our opposition. We had the majority of the possession and even thought we had scored a goal in the first half, only for it to be disallowed. The opposition had few breakthroughs but our goalkeeper Shani Brooks and defenders did a brilliant job to keep the score 0-0 at half-time.

Within five mins of starting the second half, Carey J. Sevier scored our first goal with help from Amy Shepherd from a short corner. The rest of the game was a battle and our hard work was not wasted as Lauren Setterfield scored our second goal from another short corner. At 2-0 up we wanted the game to finish. Sadly we had another 16 minutes to go. It was a challenge to keep the score at 2-0. When the final whistle was blown, we were all relieved and celebrated our first win of the season.

Considering the 4s hockey team consists of players who have never played hockey before, this was an impressive and truly deserved win. Credit for the win goes to every single player who worked hard in that match and for their fighting spirit.

Tharsani Sivapalan[/su_box]

[su_box title=”Bucs duathlon and Norwich half marathon report” box_color=”#2D2D73″ radius=”0″]As temperatures plummeted last weekend (9th & 10th January), UEA Triathlon members braved the icy conditions to conquer two keystone races in the winter calendar: Bucs (British University and College Sports) duathlon and the Norwich Half Marathon.

The 16 members who opted for the short and fast Bucs duathlon faced a two mile run, followed immediately by a ten mile bike, and another two mile run at the Castle Combe Circuit, near Chippenham. Competing on a track normally meant for race cars encouraged high speeds. Tom Huband posted an average speed of 40.5km/hr, scoring him the 25th fastest bike of the day in a field of 415 men. In the ladies race, Rachel Hawker placed tenth out of 200 women, despite wasting time losing a sock after the first run. Rachel Hawker has also recently won the Triathlon Ireland Super Series due to podium finishes in four races, including two national championships, over the summer. After only two girls racing the event last year, nine ladies participated in the race, providing three teams of three. The fastest of these comprised of Rachel Hawker, Claire Caiger and Cindy Berry who placed seventh. They finished a mere 45 seconds behind Loughborough, and not far off other major sports universities with highly-developed elite performance provisions.

For eight members the event was their first duathlon. The high number of debutants (all finishing the event in style) and the increase in female participation this year is something the club is very proud of. Along with the strong performances from individuals and teams in the elite field, the high participation rate demonstrates the versatility and wide range of abilities for which the club caters.

Back in snowy Norwich, four members braved the elements to complete the Norwich half marathon. In a huge field of over 2300 runners, Dave Chesterman and Ben Beynon finished in 27th and 76th place respectively. Both had extremely strong runs achieving well above the times they had been aiming for. Ellie Bedwell also completed the race, running her furthest distance to date and raising £500 for the Alzheimer’s Society in the process.

The weekend’s races were target events for UEA Triathlon this term and all members performed exceptionally well due to determination, dedication to training and positive attitudes. Personal bests and stand-out performances were a deserved sign of hard work paying off. Congratulations to everyone who made the weekend such a success.

Cindy Berry & Rachel Hawker[/su_box]

12/01/2016

TharsiniSivapalan

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…