Squash take easy De Montfort win

Men’s Squash strolled to a 5-0 victory against De Montfort University, with all five players dominating their opponents, not a single player losing a game.

Squash - Laura SmithPhoto: Laura Smith

Filip Svoboda began proceedings and the UEA man had the upper hand from the off against an inexperienced opponent. Svoboda looked to be exerting minimal effort yet was still superior in all aspects – he won the first two games 11-2. With the De Montfort man struggling to even return Svoboda’s serves, it’s no surprise that the match was over in a matter of minutes, with UEA putting their first point on the board.

In the second contest, Stefan Lubek faced a pacy opponent but was not to be put off by this. Lubek oozes quality all over the court, playing exquisite shots to assert his authority. The desire of the De Montfort player cannot be faulted but Lubek simply has more stamina, superior skill and a natural instinct for shot selection. De Montfort threatened a small comeback in the final game but Lubek leaves his opponent demoralised after emerging victorious from a thrilling rally. With UEA 2-0 up, victory is within touching distance.

It was Ben Nicholson’s victory against a powerful opponent that secured an overall win for UEA. Despite the physical presence of the De Montfort player, Nicholson was able to counter this with skilful shots and agile movement. Nicholson won his first game 11-4 and it became clear that De Montfort are not worthy enough to be mentioned in the same breath as UEA Squash. Nicholson utilised the drop shot in an incredible manner and also possessed a ruthless backhand. Nicholson dispatched of his opponent in straight games, ensuring that UEA won the entire fixture.

Even though the match was won, Callum Macdonald and Luke Grindle didn’t hold up in their respective matches. Macdonald secured his first game with a spectacular drop shot and at this point UEA looked to be well on their way to a whitewash victory. Captain Grindle dominated the court, incorporating a vast range of shots and executing backhand volleys in an impressive manner against an inferior opponent.

It was a remarkable victory for UEA, who now sit atop their BUCS league and face Derby on 27 February in a top of the table clash. If the team can emulate performances like this week in, week out, they’re sure to be promoted.

19/02/2013

billysexton

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031