UEA study finds chocolate prevents diabetes

Eating chocolate in moderation can help guard against the risk of type 2 diabetes, according to new research. Both UEA and King’s College London have stated that ingredients in chocolate, as well as tea and berries, could lower the risk of developing the disease.

BKJ8W1_2600701b

Photo: Telegraph

Chocolate, tea and berries all contain flavonoids, such as anthocyanins and many other compounds, which, according to the Journal of Nutrition, are connected with lower insulin resistance and improved blood glucose regulation.

A study of 2,000 people also found that other conditions and diseases such as obesity, cardiovascular disease and cancer, can be prevented by eating these food groups, as they have been found to lower inflammation. The research showed that those who included the most anthocyanins in their diet were seen to be less likely to suffer from chronic inflammation. Professor Aedin Cassidy from UEA’s Medical School, who led the research, was incredibly optimistic about its findings.

“This is one of the first large-scale human studies to look at how these powerful bioactive compounds might reduce the risk of diabetes.”

Researchers at UEA are now looking to examine whether blueberries can improve health and guard against illnesses linked to heart disease and diabetes.
Chocolate has previously been found to increase happiness by spiking dopamine levels and endorphins.

28/01/2014

veritystone