UEA has suspended all face-to-face teaching from March 16 until April 19 “as a precautionary measure” against the coronavirus pandemic. The University has also postponed public events until the same date.

In an email sent to students the University said: “All teaching will be delivered via Blackboard. All classroom and laboratory teaching will cease.”

It added: “We expect that for the next week, our virtual learning environment Blackboard will be used to provide relevant course content and materials, and students should check their email for updates as well as their module Blackboard sites. 

“The University is continuing to review the situation and will provide more information to you within the next two weeks about arrangements that will be in place for after 19 April.”

In a separate email the University told some students public events have been postponed until April 19 “in light of the concern relating to COVID-19 and the increased necessity to contain the spread of infection.”

It comes as a flat on campus has been told to self-isolate for two weeks after one of its residents came in close contact with a person from outside of the University who has since tested positive for coronavirus.

A UEA spokeswoman said: “We want to reassure you that the self-isolation is a precautionary measure, and there is no confirmed case of COVID-19 on campus. We would advise everyone in our community to follow the relevant public health information, including guidance from the Government and the NHS, and further information is available here https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/media-room/latest-news/statements/covid-19-advice.

“If people have any specific concerns about their health, we ask that you follow current Public Health England advice.   A series of frequently asked questions is available on our website which includes advice on how to self-isolate and what to do if you have specific concerns.”

She added: “We are monitoring the situation closely and we will continue to provide as much advice, care and support to everyone in our community.”

UEA have asked students to contact Student Services at studentsupport@uea.ac.uk or call 01603 592761 if the NHS asks them to self-isolate.

The University also has a dedicated coronavirus advice page on its website.