Sport, Uncategorized

UEA Swimming pull in the points

UEA Swimming Team enjoyed a strong performance at the BUCS Short Course Championships in Sheffield last weekend, making the finals in two individual and two relay events.

Competing alongside a number of GB swimmers (some of whom had recently appeared in the Commonwealth Games), UEA fielded an unprecedented 33 competitors, almost all achieving at least one Personal Best time (PB) over the weekend. Among the standout competitors were Alison Binns, who finished tenth in the Women’s 200 metres Individual Medley and Nicola Buchanan, who finished 14th in the Women’s 50 metres Butterfly, both swimming in finals.

Similarly for the men, Ewan Laing just missed out on making the final in the 200 metres Individual Medley, placing 11th, and George Evans capped off a terrific weekend with a storming swim to a lifetime best of 1:00:58 in the 100 metres Backstroke.
This was matched by exceptional team performances in the relay events, finishing twelfth in the women’s 200 metres Freestyle Relay (consisting of Alison Binns, Nicola Buchanan, Clare Bartington and Jess Sullivan) and then topping that by finishing ninth in the 200 metres Medley Relay (Jenny Seaman, Bartington, Buchanan and Binns), both times swimming in finals. This represented an incredible achievement considering that their competition included the likes of Loughborough, Bath, Edinburgh and Swansea – teams with a long and distinguished history of swimming success.

The combined efforts ensured UEA improved considerably on last year’s BUCS point tally for the event to draw level with Oxford and just one point behind Sheffield in the overall standings.

The weekend also provided a timely confidence boost ahead of the BUCS Team Championships in a week’s time, held at UEA, that will see such titans of the sport as Bath and Cambridge lock horns in Norwich’s very own pool.

UEA Swimming currently sit in division two, but this year’s competition represents an excellent chance to achieve promotion to the top division and head to the final in Sheffield next year.

“‘Obviously, the chance to compete against other universities in our own pool for the first time since Derby Day 2012 is incredibly exciting, and and I am delighted that UEA sportspark will welcome some of the very best swimmers in Britain,” said Vice-President Simon Tate.
“Hosting this competition is a huge coup for the Sportspark and our club, and I would like to thank both the current and previous committees, as well as those running the Sportspark and volunteers from City of Norwich swimming club for all the hard work that they have put in to make this possible”.

UEA Swimming Team compete in the BUCS Teams Swimming championships at UEA Sportspark on 30th November from 12:00 – 17:00. Go along and lend your support!

25/11/2014

georgeevans

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31