UEA Swimming Club improved upon last year’s performance at BUCS Nationals, attracting more attention from UEA Sport.

All of the club’s relay teams made their respective finals, building upon the achievements of the team sent off to BUCS short-course last semester.

Liv Neale made the final of the women’s 200m Backstroke, and Rikke Nagell-Kleven made the final of the women’s 200m IM.

The team finished ranked 23rd, improving from their position in 24th place last year. The weekend stands as a continuation of the team’s improving results, following their position ranked 29th in the short-course championships, up from 32nd the previous year.

The President, Ben Friar, says he hopes that the team’s improving results will garner them more attention from the university.

“UEA Sport were also very impressed with how the team performed over the weekend and they seemed to be giving us more attention than they have before, which is a credit to how far the team has improved over the last few years,” Friar said.

Sean Watson and Lauren Nelson were voted the team’s swimmers of the weekend.

Friar said, “Sean had some incredible freestyle swims in his individual and relay efforts whilst Lauren swam well in her individual events, and stepped up to do the Fly in the Medley relay final.

“I am immensely proud of everyone who swam. You all showed some real class over the weekend. Massive well done to you all.”

UEA Swimming Club will be sending a selection of swimmers from its development and competition squads off to compete in Manchester later in March, for the Quest for the Crest competition.

The main body of the team now begins training in preparation for BUCS Teams in May, which will only feature relay races.“Hopefully we can now keep the momentum going up until BUCS teams our final competition of the year, in which we will be competing in the higher division for the first time since gaining promotion last year,” Friar said.