UEA unite for Movember

UEA sports teams and societies joined together to raise money for Movember, including volleyball and American football.

The month-long campaign to raise awareness for prostate cancer and associated male cancer charities has grown in popularity over the past two years. The aim being to “change the face of men’s health.”

Established in 2004 and now in its eighth year of existence, the event sees participants sponsored to grow moustaches.

The online forum Movember & Sons has enabled participants from across the country to document their progress and fundraising efforts. The United Kingdom stood in second place on the global leaderboard, having raised £17,094,506.

UEA Volleyball has raised £633 so far. Alec Kent, team captain of the UEA MoVolleyball group said: “There is no way I could have ever anticipated this amount of support for us. The guys and girls have done mo-tastically well!”

Aside from the lighthearted team motto “to prove moustaches work!”, the campaign has a serious message and is hugely successful in raising both money and awareness. James Vater, President of UEA Volleyball club said: “I expected to raise £50 to £100, nowhere near this amount!”

The Union of UEA students are also involved, belonging to the network Big Moustache on Campus. So far they have raised £329.

To support the cause or to find out more, visit: uk.movember.com

04/12/2012

chloehashemi