UEA Vice-Chancellor speaks out on Trump’s travel ban

UEA Vice-Chancellor, Professor David Richardson, has spoken out against President Trump’s executive order on immigration into the United States. The statement, published on the UEA website, begins: “Many of you will have been alarmed by this weekend’s news of the travel restrictions to the USA ordered by President Donald Trump.”

The Vice-Chancellor added: “it is deeply troubling to see a country like the USA arbitrarily banning travel simply on the basis of religion or country of birth. We can, however, take hope from the public response to the President’s executive order.

“If history teaches us anything it is that we must condemn any attempt to demonise and divide people based on their nationality or religion. We very much hope that the US courts will prevail and restore some sense and constitutional order.

He stated that the university is: “opposed to any action, anywhere in the world, that prevents students and academics from pursuing their studies because of their religion or place of birth.

“We will continue to support our diverse family of nations at UEA and to welcome refugee scholars wherever we can. We expect our own government to provide visible leadership on this matter and to use its influence to encourage the USA administration to right this wrong.  #UEAisunited”

The statement can be read here.

31/01/2017

jessicafrankkeyes