UEA women’s Futsal second after final round of league fixtures

UEA women’s Futsal team enjoyed a successful final round of league fixtures at the Score Centre, Leyton Orient FC, which saw them place second in their BUCS league.

This year, women’s BUCS Futsal fixtures are taking place as two rounds at neutral locations rather than as individual home-vs-away fixtures.

UEA fielded a strong team, despite missing captain Kathryn Stanley, who was out with sprained ligaments in her ankle.

UEA turned a 1-1 half-time draw into a 4-1 win in their first game against Warwick, with goals from Madelaine Pitt, Rebecca Carver, Holly Connell and UEA players’ player of the tournament Charnelle Riggall. In their second game of the day, UEA faced Nottingham Trent’s first team, with a heroic defensive performance securing a goalless draw.

UEA then played Trent’s second side in their third game. Drawing 1-1 through a Millie Daviss goal, UEA manager’s player of the tournament Carver struck in the last minute to grab a 2-1 victory for UEA. A 2-0 win over Nottingham 2s and a 4-2 defeat to De Montfort completed UEA’s results and secured UEA the runner up position in BUCS Midlands 1A with six wins and two draws from ten games, behind champions Trent 1s.

Captain Stanley, who travelled with the team, reflected: ‘Unfortunately I was injured and was unable to play, however the girls made me so proud. Every single player worked so hard and I couldn’t ask anything else from them. We won three matches, drew one and lost one, meaning we finish 2nd in the league. This is a massive achievement for us and sets us up well moving into the next round of the cup against Exeter on Saturday.’

Stanley added that her injury is ‘hopefully not long term’ and that she is ‘planning on playing [against Exeter] on Saturday’.

UEA travel to Exeter on Saturday in the last-16 of the national BUCS Trophy.

27/02/2019

Tony Allen

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…