Sport, Sports clubs

Women’s Volleyball take superb win

Women’s Volleyball took a superb straight sets win over Nottingham II on Wednesday 27 February at the Sportspark.

Photo: Whye Tchien Khor
Photo: Whye Tchien Khor

UEA started the game in second place in BUCS Midlands Division 2A, with their opponents in third place and three points behind as the season draws to a conclusion.

The away side served first, but it was the hosts who started the better, as they began to gain the advantage in the long rallies that became the norm during the opening exchanges.

UEA quickly stretched their lead as errors began creeping into their opponents’ game, taking an early 10-5 lead as Nottingham called a time out thanks to some superb smashes and great communication to ensure they had the best of the game.

After the break, the home side maintained their momentum as frustration began to creep into Nottingham’s game and they struggled to cope with some superb services from UEA. The away side struggled even to score a single point as the set wore on, with the hosts’ dominant play around the net helping them take a comfortable 25-10 win and with it the opening set.

Things got no better for Nottingham in the second set, as a series of errors forced by some superb attacking play saw them go behind early again. UEA were clearly in scintillating form, showcasing the attacking play that has seen them lose just once all season in the league.

However, despite the home side maintaining their pressure, Nottingham began to find the form that had been missing from their game, reducing the deficit to just 19-17 as they looked to recover. However, they could not keep up the momentum as UEA stepped up a gear and took the next six points without reply to win the set 25-17 and take a two-set lead.

The third set saw Nottingham take the lead for the first time as they went into an early 2-0 lead, although a number of forced errors began to creep in as the home side sensed the opportunity to secure a comfortable victory.

The visitors quickly became rattled as UEA’s superb service game began to bring them a succession of points, and with the home side taking the points after some superb rallies that saw good recovery play from both teams, victory was all-but assured with the score at 16-9.

In the closing stages of the set, Nottingham once again made a number of forced errors due to the superb play of the hosts, and UEA secured an easy victory as they closed out the set by a final margin of 25-12.

It was a superb victory for a UEA side that has only dropped three sets in the league all year, and sees them keep up the pressure on Aston I atop BUCS Midlands Division 2A with just one game left this season away to Derby I.

05/03/2013

christeale

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930