The biggest event of the year was back with a bang for UEA Netball Club last Friday on the 24th of January.

UEANC hosted their annual fundraiser event, which witnessed 14 Presidents from various clubs and societies across campus going head to head to compete to be crowned King of the concrete jungle.

The night was made up of different challenges with a president being knocked out at the end of each round.

The first challenge of the night was desert mouth, which meant that each president had to eat 4 cream crackers with only a glass of water to help it get down.

From here, the rounds were a mix of activities and knowledge, from Charades and Catchphrase to beat the intro, and a general knowledge quiz.

The final rounds were comprised of a lip sync battle which saw the still-standing 5 presidents become 4.

This was followed by an ‘I’m a President Get Me Out of Here’ classic of ‘find the star’ (in a questionable bowl of food), and finally the night concluded with a gruelling 3 course meal.

The aim of this challenge was to see which of the final 3 presidents could finish the feast the quickest, and at the end of this the winner was crowned.

The winner was Tsema Ogbe, the president of African-Caribbean Society, who gets to reign as King until next year.

Ogbe put on an outstanding dance performance in the lip sync battle, as well as consistently achieving in the other rounds throughout the competition.

The aim of the night was to raise money for UEA Netball’s chosen charity, which is Target Ovarian Cancer.

This is a charity that was voted for by the members of the club, as it is one which is very close to many of their hearts.

We spoke to the club’s Opportunities and Activities Officer, Emily Hayman, who was in charge of the running of the event, who said, “Ovarian Cancer has one of the worst survival rates, with 4200 women losing their lives each year.

“Target Ovarian Cancer supports women and their families who have been affected by this cancer and importantly, they strive to raise awareness of early diagnosis.”

When touching on why this means so much to the club, she said, “Raising money for this charity means so much to UEA Netball, as unfortunately one of our alumni lost her mum to the cancer early last year.

“We have seen the devastating effects that this cancer can cause and as a club we are aiming to raise as much money as possible to contribute to the fight against it.”

Overall the club raised over £700 for the charity, a colossal achievement, and the team hopes it will be the first of many fundraisers to contribute to the charity.