Climate Change, Science

UEA’s Tyndall Centre Part of Government Scheme to Research Impact of Climate Change

With headlines of extreme weather being more prevalent than ever- from recent floods in Germany to wildfires in Oregon- I’m sure we’re all aware of the climate crisis looming over us. This poses the question, ‘What exactly is being done to stop the climate crisis?’. Efforts to tackle the biggest threat faced by humankind thus far are taking place much closer to home than you might think. 

Ahead of the long-awaited COP26 in Glasgow this November, the UK government has launched ‘Climate Services for a Net Zero Resilient World’, a £5 million programme to be carried out by researchers at the forefront of environmental sciences over four years, including UEA’s very own Tyndall Centre for Climate Research. The main aims of this programme are to build upon the existing scientific understanding of climate impacts, decarbonisation, and climate action. The research will then be used to implement adequate responses improving the resilience of national infrastructure to the effects of climate change.

There are many avenues through which the programme plans on doing this including: giving local authorities the latest advice and information on how they can help households cope with extreme temperatures in the most low-cost and low-carbon ways, informing future policies on the environment through the knowledge and expertise of world-leaders in environmental science, helping to reduce the impact of floods on local communities.  

Not only will this project help Britain cope with the changing climate, but it also will aim to ensure emissions are drastically cut around the world. Starting at home, it will provide models for ways in which the UK can reduce its carbon emissions. Then it will build upon the UK’s work overseas to collaborate with and support other nations also reducing their carbon footprint. Hopefully, this programme will allow the country to lead by example at COP26, and globally, sufficient measures can be implemented to stop the climate crisis in its tracks. 

14/09/2021

Rosina Poller

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031