UK Government misses deadline on confirming whether controversial £217million pound revamp of Anglia Square begins construction.

The UK government has missed the deadline for deciding on whether the renovation of Norwich City’s Anglia Square is to go ahead. A spokesperson for the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government stated that Local Government Secretary Robert Jenrick would not be publishing the details of the decision by the agreed upon deadline of Monday the 7th of September. 

The ‘revamp’ of Anglia Square is being outsourced to Columbia Threadneedle and Weston Homes. The decision was approved by Norwich City Council’s planning committee in 2018. 

The proposals for changes were met with criticism by organisations such as that of Historic England, Norwich Cycling Campaign, SAVE British Heritage and the Central Magdalen and St Augustine Forum. 

Following a four week enquiry the planning inspector David Prentis and Robert Jenrick was set to make a decision on Monday the 7th which has since passed. Prentis has recommended that the decision was not made public until the 7th of September.

Robert Jenrick was recently caught up in controversy over his decision to okay redevelopment of The Westferry Printworks redevelopment in London against the recommendation of planning inspector Prentis. The decision was later reversed as a result of Tower Hamlets council threatening legal action against the government. 

The new revamp of Anglia Square is set to include a cinema, more than 1200 new homes some in a new 20 story tower block, a hotel and new shops. 

It is unclear as to when the government will make a decision on this divisive issue.

22/09/2020

Samuel Woolford

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930