Four players from UEA’s Ultimate Frisbee team, known as Aye-Aye, have been selected for some of the sport’s Great Britain squads.

FrisbeePhoto via UEA Ultimate Frisbee

The sport has grown in popularity in this country and also at university level, with some of Aye-Aye’s players now having the opportunity to represent national sides.

Beccie Haigh is one of the team’s most experienced players, having already played at the University of Sussex and for the Great Britain Women’s and Women’s Beach sides.

She will travel to Cali in Colombia as part of the GB squad for the World Games, the international multi-sport event for sports non-Olympic sports, which take place from 25 July until 4 August.

Haigh first took up the sport as something to play during the summer, having played football for many years, and was immediately addicted to it.

She said: “It was mainly the people, spending the whole weekend with your team makes them become like family. But also the depth of skills required kept me hooked, whenever I felt I had learned to do one thing I recognised other areas I could improve on.”

Aye-Aye will also have two representatives at the World Flying Disk Federation World Under-23 Ultimate Championships in Toronto. Anna Trebble and Howard Storey will travel to York University to compete for Great Britain’s women’s and mixed teams respectively.

The event will last for a week from 21-28 July, with teams attending from across the world.

Storey has been heavily involved with Aye-Aye this year and has played the sport since being introduced to it before going to university. “A teacher at school, who I played squash with, represented the GB ultimate team,” he explains.

“He lent me his Frisbee and taught me the rules and some throws. I would get my mates together and we played a ‘jumpers for goalpost’ version of ultimate, we were all very rubbish!

“Once I joined the club at UEA, I was hooked both on and off the pitch and knew I was never going to leave.”

Meanwhile, Trebble came into the sport to try something new after playing hockey and netball previously, and has enjoyed the responsibility of leading the UEA women’s side while gaining a love for the sport.

She said: “I became women’s captain in my second year and started to enjoy the sport even more. Not only was I able to be fully involved in the club, but I was also able to push myself in my abilities in order to be a good captain, which inevitably got me where I am now.”

Matt Metcalfe was also hopeful of selection for Great Britain’s Under-23 mixed team, but unfortunately did not make the final cut.

Meanwhile, Alistair Middlemiss has been selected for the Great Britain Under-20 Open team, who will be competing at the European Junior Ultimate Championship in August, having also only got into the sport when he came to UEA.

The selections show how successful Aye-Aye have been in recent years, with the national recognition coming after victories against a number of other university sides.