Union announce referendum on officer roles

The Union of UEA Students (UUEAS) is to hold a student-wide referendum on full time officer roles from Wednesday 5 February to Friday 7 February 2014.

CR4COLA5

Students will have the opportunity to vote either yes or no to changing the full-time officer structure. Currently, there are four full time officers at the Union: Communications Officer, Finance Officer, Academic Officer and Community and Student Rights Officer.

The Student Officer Committee have proposed five new full time roles: Undergraduate Education Officer, Postgraduate Education Officer, Campaigns and Democracy Officer, Welfare, Community and Diversity Officer and Student Activities and Opportunities Officer.

Additionally, in a second referendum, students will be asked if they believe the new Campaigns and Democracy Officer role should be renamed as President. The President would take the lead in campaigning to the University and co-ordinating the other student officers.

Current Finance Officer Joe Levell proposed the change in roles and said, “The review of the Full Time Officer roles has come up with some really interesting ideas. The development of a full time officer devoted to postgraduates, as well as an Officer who has the sole remit of clubs and societies, means that the Union should be able to reach and impact more members than ever before. The President question was evenly split throughout the consultation so it is important that all students are able to have their say on a contentious issue.”

28/01/2014

billysexton