INTO Union Council election sees 42% turnout

International Students in UEA’s INTO school turned out in record numbers to elect their Union of UEA Students (UUEAS) union council representative on Wednesday, with turnout hitting 42% – more than double the average campus-wide turnout in the UUEAS full-time officer elections in March 2014, which was 17%.

The high turnout amongst international students follows the election of Yinbo Yu in March – the first international student elected as a full-time officer – and accompanies increased attempts by the UUEAS to engage traditionally hard-to-reach students. Such attempts have included new “liberation caucuses” for marginalised students like women, LGBTQ+ students, disabled students and ethnic minority students, as well as spaces for international students and a new Graduate Assembly for postgraduate students.

Stela Glakousaki, International Students’ Officer at UUEAS, said:

“It was really exciting to see nine candidates running for Into Council Rep and over 40% students voted! Following that, last night, in the first Union Council, we were really happy to see international students getting involved and running for positions…. It’s good to know that international students are eager to get involved with the SU, not only in student opportunities but also democracy. We are running an ‘international fees guarantee’ campaign as one of the priority ones this year and we really hope International students will join us”.

A UUEAS spokesperson said: “Martin’s election means that INTO students’ voice will be heard at the heart of Union democracy and Martin will be able to bring the issues that concern INTO students to Council.

“We had a great turnout with 42% of INTO students voting. The high turnout was thanks to the incredibly hard work that the candidates did in promoting the election. Thanks to all of them for their efforts and, also, to INTO staff for their help and support.

“Commiserations to the unsuccessful candidates and congratulations to Martin.”

Nine candidates stood in the election, with Martin Xiong elected to serve as INTO’s union councillor for 2014-15. The full results are shown below.

INTO Union Council Election Results, October 9th 2014 (elected candidate shown in bold text)

Martin Xiong, 128

Mohammed Al-Hasan, 36

Ziying, 33

Qi Zhang, 24

Lok Hang Lam, 9

Fuyu Tian, 5

Daria Kirvonozhenkova, 4

Yan Yang, 3

Artyom Golossenko 2

Re-open nominations 1

14/10/2014

elliotfolan

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “INTO Union Council election sees 42% turnout”

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031