Union Council round-up – 07/11/2013

Union of UEA Students

Boycott of Robin Thicke’s Blurred Lines taken to referendum

The much-debated question of whether Robin Thicke’s song Blurred Lines should be banned from being played on campus has been taken to referendum.

Rachel Knott, Women’s Officer, has commented: “‘Hopefully UEA students will join the 20 other student unions in recognising that women students’ right to feel safe in Union premises should not take precedence over anyone’s right to listen to a catchy song”

The referendum will be held on the week beginning November 25th. More information is available on ueastudentblog.wordpress.com.

Provision for Halal & Kosher food backed

Union Council have decided to explore the possibility of offering halal and kosher food in Union outlets.

Bintu Foday, Community and Student Rights Officer said: “Discrimination can come in many forms, and this motion passing will help us to ensure we can eradicate it in the way food is provided on campus. This is a real example of Union Council working to meet the needs of the full diversity of our members.”

Alcohol to be prohibted from future meetings

After it was discovered that councillors had been consuming alcohol whilst Council was in session, the decision has been taken to ban alcohol consumption in future meetings.

Liam McCafferty, Chair of Council, said: “Following a break at the union council meeting on 7 November a number of councillors brought alcohol into the meeting. Given the number of members that expressed discomfort at this situation we will simply prohibit this at all future meetings.”

19/11/2013

andrewansell

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3