Featured Posts, News

Students vote for Union officer role change

UEA students have voted to restructure the Union’s Full Time Officer framework and not to reinstate the role of Union President, following a referendum.

1794644_10151925107273519_273779445_n

906 UEA students voted to shake up the current Full Time Officer structure while only 47 voted to retain the current system.  The role of President was voted down by a vote of 598 against to 346 for.

Consequently, students will now be represented by a team of five Full Time Officers throughout the academic year, instead of four. The current positions will be replaced with a Welfare, Community & Diversity Officer; Student Activites & Opportunity Officer, Campaigns & Democracy Officer as well as education officers for both under and postgraduates. For example, the Welfare, Community and Diversity Office will promote and defend the rights of students on issues regarding education, equality of opportunity, welfare and housing through lobbying and campaigning within the local community.

The Union Communications Officer and supporter of the Yes:No campaign, Rosie Rawle, commented: “It comes with excitement that not only will our Student Union now have a new Postgraduate Officer, and a Campaigns and Democracy Officer, but will remain to be a flat structure that is unique, collaborative, and effective.

The Community and Student Rights Officer, Bintu Foday, said: “The Students of UEA have spoken and have made clear that whilst they want change they don’t want a President. I want to thank everyone in the campaign teams, the staff and volunteers who have helped in the process, and the students who voted for their energy and enthusiasm in making the referendum such a success. Elections for the new positions will now take place in a few weeks’ time.”

Nominations for the new positions open on Monday 24 February. Those interested in running will be able to collect a nomination pack from Union House reception from that date.

07/02/2014

andrewansell

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930