Universities adapt to funding changes

England’s universities are being forced to adapt in order to maintain high standards following the rise in tuition fees, a report from Universities UK says.

Untitled-5

The £9,000 fees cap, introduced to make up for the 80% cut in public funding, has led to questions about how institutions spend their money.

“Since the introduction of tuition fees, people have quite rightly been asking questions about how universities are spending the income” said Nicola Dandridge, Chief Executive of Universities UK. “Our report aims to answer these questions”.

According the report, the 2006 increase allowed universities to “make significant investments in buildings and infrastructure”, something that continued after the 2012 increase. Universities have also sought to make other improvements; with Liverpool and Leeds among those enhancing their ‘careers-focused support’. Along with UEA’s careers service these programs work to ensure students get the internships and work placements they need to feel prepared for life outside campus.

However, many universities claimed that their improvements to the student experience were underway before the introduction of the higher fees. Indeed the fee income has been vital to fill the gap which would have been left by the cuts in public funding. Some have seen their income increased, for others it has fallen. Almost all have been forced to increase the amount they charge in order to make up for the hefty budget cuts in force since 2012.

Despite the changes universities are implementing, a study by Which? and the Higher Education Policy Institute (Hepi) found that one third of first years complained of ‘poor value for money’; The study, carried out earlier in 2013, found that 29% of first years did not feel they were getting value for money. This is compared to 16% of first years when the fees were at £1000 per year. UEA seems to be an exception, ranking first in the Times Higher Education Student Survey this year.

It will be sometime until the impact of the changes to higher education funding are fully understood, but already it is clear that adaption is the key to survival for English universities.

20/09/2013

mikedrummond

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031