Universities to scrap predicted grades

Universities could be scrapping predicted grades as part of their entry systems. The new review comes after most universities have been scrapping unconditional offers in the last few years. A potential outcome from these new discussions about university admissions processes might see applications being delayed until after A-level results day. This may mean that students will be required to take their A-levels earlier in the year, or publish exam results earlier than under the current system, which is in August. The Watchdog says that other options could include pushing back the start dates of university terms so that they fall later in the year, to allow for any changes to results day. Sir Michael Barber, chairman of the watchdog, said that parts of the admissions system were, “not working”, and that in 75% of cases, students were not making the grades predicted by their schools. He also said that the admissions process, “may be especially unfair on students from disadvantaged backgrounds.” The watchdog will publish its findings after the admissions review ends in May, however universities do not have to impose any changes to admissions as they are independent bodies. Jo Grady, leader of the UCU Lecturers’ Union, said that, “the review is the opportunity for us to finally move to a system where university offers are based on actual achievement rather than unreliable estimates of potential.” 

10/03/2020

Leia Butler

Leia Butler