Universities told to refund students tuition fees

Universities have been told by the Office of the Independent Adjudicators to refund students tuition fees, following strikes earlier this year. This follows a recent announcement of potential strikes commencing at the end of November for up to eight days. The Office of the Independent Adjudicator has stated that students should be refunded at least 50 per cent of their tuition fees to make up for teaching time that was lost earlier this year, particularly as some universities failed to make moves to minimise the impact of these disruptions. A total of 14 teaching days were lost at over 65 universities, as lecturers and academic staff walked out over a dispute about pensions. The University and College Union has estimated that over 1 million students were affected by the strikes, with over 575,000 hours of teaching time being lost across the country. Some establishments have attempted to make up for these lost hours by providing additional podcasts or lecture recordings to students, but evidence suggests that other universities have done nothing. After filing a complaint with their university, students are able to take complaints to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for up to a year. The Office can then recommend refunds for these students.

19/11/2019

Ellie Robson

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031