A software malfunction has led to a number of UEA students being sent incorrect exam timetables.

With the dreaded exam period looming, many students across UEA are already feeling the strain. This was not helped when early Monday evening an email was sent to all students on behalf of Dr Andrea Blanchflower, Director of Learning and Teaching Services, recanting previously issued timetables.

The email stated: “It has been brought to our attention that a number of students’ examination timetables have been incorrectly generated by the University’s timetabling software package. This is a most unfortunate system based error for which we wholeheartedly apologize [sic].”

The error arose in part due to the system’s planning tool not taking into account UEA’s exam criteria; the university has a commitment to ensuring that no student is examined for more than five hours on any single day, as well as avoiding timetabling more than one exam per day, where possible.

Cesca Burns, a first year CMP student, said: “I was really happy with my original timetable, and I’ve already started my revision plan too. Plus, I’ve planned going away with my family around my exams, so if this now clashes I don’t know what I’ll do”.

UEA is not the only university to be hit by this error, however a newly released software patch should resolve these problems and ensure the issuing of correct timetables. Yet, this still comes as a source of frustration for students, many of whom are already underway with their exam preparation.

Dr Andrea Blanchflower said: “I would like to apologise on behalf of the University for the delay in the publication of your correct examination timetable and would reassure that we are working vigorously with the software provider along with other Universities to address the fact that this error arose in the system.”

All students will receive a replacement exam timetable on Monday 16th March and have been advised to delete previous timetables to avoid further confusion. Any updates, and further information will be posted on the Learning and Teaching Service pages from tomorrow.

3 COMMENTS

1. Not a software malfunction this is human error. They didn’t input those rules. Poor software being blames. Software does what it’s told.

• If it’s really human error, why have multiple universities had the same problem and needed a software patch? Surely if it was human error, there’s no need for a patch?

Views own.