University to install WiFi in halls

UEA will be installing WiFi in UEA accommodation, it has announced.

Funding has been awarded for the installation of 1,000 wireless network access points across university residences, meaning that students living in campus accommodation will be able to use the internet in kitchens and halls, not just bedrooms. The 8MB WiFi provision will use the university’s “Eduroam” network which is available to all registered UEA students and staff.

Work began on installation in April, and should be completed by 5th September 2014. The university has told students that they will not be disturbed by the work, but a number of residents have complained about noise and disturbances.

One second year student told Concrete: “They started work at 9am, and we kept on getting woken up by them drilling and hammering. It went on and off all day. I needed to work in my room to do exam revision because the library and cafes were full. They said it would be minimum disruption, but that wasn’t my experience at all. Why do it during exam time when students are trying to revise? Can’t they do it in the summer or any other time?”

Lack of WiFi in UEA halls has often been a complaint of students, with many expressing frustration at having to use Ethernet cables instead. The existing Ethernet cables will continue to function alongside the new WiFi.

ComputerPhoto: Nick Perla

Further information can be found at www.uea.ac.uk/is/news/wireless-network-residences. If students are inconvenienced by the work they can contact the accommodation office at accom@uea.ac.uk.

13/05/2014

elliotfolan

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “University to install WiFi in halls”

1. Complaining about being woken up at 9am? What will they do in two years when they have to get up for work at 6am? I can’t believe people are complaining that a service that will be of great benefit to everyone is being installed during normal working hours.

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930