Film, OldVenue

University on Screen: The Must-See Movies

Jesse Eisenberg stars as Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, directed by David Fincher.
Jesse Eisenberg stars as Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network, directed by David Fincher. Photo Credit: Merrick Morton – Columbia TriStar Marketing Group Inc.

The Social Network (2010)
From the drunken ‘adding’ of just about every random person you meet during a night out, all the way to the internal panic at seeing ‘26 tagged photos’ pop up the morning after, it seems impossible to imagine university life without Facebook. Following the real life story of Mark Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin, The Social Network is a brilliant and clever film about the creation of Facebook, friendship, lawsuits, and betrayal.

The Roommate (2011)
It is natural to feel nervous when it comes to meeting your flatmates, but just know that they will not be as bad as Rebecca Evans. This is a dark and gripping film that follows fashion student Sara Matthews as she settles into college life and tries to make friends. However her flatmate, Rebecca, grows obsessed with her and seeks to destroy anyone who tries to steal Sara away from her.

Monsters University (2013)
Pixar never fails to prove that we are all big kids at heart. Acting as a prequel to Monsters Inc., we get a delightful peak at what Mike and Sully were like as college students. When they both get chucked out of the Scare Program, the two have to work together to overcome both their social and educational challenges to get back on track. This films shows that everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and that even the most unlikely people can become friends.

Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) excitedly arrives at Harvard Law School, determined to show everyone she can be serious.
Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon) excitedly arrives at Harvard Law School, determined to show everyone she can be serious. Photo Credit: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.

Legally Blonde (2001)
Blonde and bubbly fashionista, Elle Woods, decides to apply for law school in a desperate attempt to win back the affection of her ex-boyfriend. Thinking her as a ‘dumb blonde’, her fellow students are quick to judge her and put her down. However, Elle’s unique personality, and knowledge of beauty and fashion, serves as a surprising advantage in her law career and shows that you should never judge a book by its cover.

Dead Man on Campus (1998)
Josh Miller is a medical student that is determined to study. However, with the help of his flatmate, Cooper, who tempts him with girls and parties that plan quickly goes out of the window. Their only hope is an urban legend that if a college student’s room-mate commits suicide, then they will get straight A’s. The two then search for a 3rd, suicidal, flatmate in this silly, tongue-in-cheek film.

The Bellas, headed by Beca (Anna Kendrick), showcase their singing abilities in Pitch Perfect. Photo credit: Universal Pictures.
The Bellas showcase their singing abilities in Pitch Perfect. Photo credit: Universal Pictures.

Pitch Perfect (2012)
Strong female roles, a hilarious society, an awesome soundtrack, with a bit of romance thrown in the mix? Yes please! Pitch Perfect is the ideal feel-good film to watch when deadlines are all getting a bit too much. And because, well, acapella is pretty awesome.

Animal House (1978)
“Toga! Toga! Toga!” – This film is a college classic! Animal House follows the battle between a fraternity and the strict school dean. Extreme pranks, parties, bad grads and cheating boyfriends, lead to outrageous and eccentric shenanigans, and the film is packed full with laugh-out-loud moments. All of us has a friend like Bluto!

Oxford Blues (1984)
American hustler, Nick Di Angelo enrols into Oxford University in the hopes of winning his dream woman, Lady Victoria Wingate. Along the way, he joins the rowing team and comes to learn that friendship and promises are just as important as his romantic endeavours. Definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of 80’s ‘brat packs’ films!

20/09/2015

hollymason