University Writers Service pays students to write

The University Writers Service is a new scheme being developed at the university to allow students the opportunity to gain paid training and experience in the world of freelance writing.

IMG_5444-1

After collaborating with Fountain Partnership, a local internet marketing company, the university aimed to provide students with the opportunity to gain in-depth training in SEO and copywriting, professional CV references and the chance to earn money from their writing and research skills.

A talk held earlier this month saw great interest from UEA students, with over 150 students in attendance for which additional spaces had to be added to meet the high demand. The talk led by Fountain’s co-founder Marcus Hemsley explored the basics of search engine optimisation, teaching students how to optimise their internet presence and hone in the writing and research skills learnt from their degree to create exciting online copy. After the event, entries for the scheme were submitted the following week and seven UEA students were selected to take part in the scheme over the coming Autumn semester.

Managing director at Fountain Rebecca Lewis Smith explained “Our aim is to help students recognise the commercial value of their researching and writing skills, so that they can go on to earn money as freelancers,” she said. “We want to make this as professional a process as possible, which will mean the students treating us as a client.”

The programme aims to be a new model of collaboration between the university and other local businesses, which could be expanded to give paid work and opportunities to a greater number of students each year.

For more information regarding the scheme, email Lucy Jobber at: writers.service@uea.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter.

28/10/2013

lucyjobber