Music, OldVenue

!UNO! – Green Day

Just when you thought that Green Day couldn’t get any better, er, you may have been right.

Album opener, Nuclear Family, has that typical Green Day sound, and is crying out to be played live. This song has been released as a sneak peak from the album, displaying one of the better sounds of 12 tracks wherein very few are distinct from one another.

Kill The DJ, the current single from ¡UNO!, doesn’t really sound much like anything that we have come to expect from the punk trio.

The laid back ska style is catchy, but not exactly attention grabbing. It could be a hit for a debuting band, but not a one spanning decades on an international level and it is only due to Billie Joe’s distinct vocals that this has the recognisable Green Day sound.

Let Yourself Go appears to be the ultimate winner, with a guitar riff that is reminiscent of American Idiot, signaling a band with a hit on their hands.

Green Day return to their old skool punk roots with this song. But on first listen the chorus seems lets down the aggressive, driving verses. However, when given a chance, it will have you singing along in no time.

Troublemaker, catches the attention as a good choice to place in the middle of the album, breaking up a surge of tunes that are all generally average.

Carpe Diem and Sweet 16 are good, but not good enough to reach single status. The latter exposes Bille Joe’s vocal talents, presenting a sound unlike anything Green Day have ever done.

Angel Blue and Rusty James have the authentic Green Day sound. They should have finished the album with these, not Oh Love, a song that has been around for some months now.

It’s not a bad tune; it’s definitely catchy and demands to be sung aloud but in 10 years it won’t be one of the band’s most memorable songs.

¡UNO! is the first of the trilogy ¡UNO!, ¡DOS!, ¡TRE! that is set to be released.

It will be interesting to see how the ensuing two differentiate and whether they will have more to offer, or if they’ll signify Green Day’s move to the backseat.

3/5

Nuclear Family – Green Day

26/09/2012

daniellehutley

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31