Fashion

Upcycling: A new lease of life for clothes

What is upcycling and why is it important?

Upcycling is designed to encourage people to be innovative in the way they use things by converting tired products into new ones. It promotes reusing over discarding, hence benefiting the environment, and is necessary to substitute the simplicity of buying new goods.

Here are three easy tips on how you can upcycle your tired clothing:

1. Be imaginative

There’s no right way to upcycle. When you see an interesting piece of clothing that might be a snazzy additional piece to that T-shirt you are working on, go for it. Maybe that old lace table cloth could replace the ripped part of your favourite shorts? Perhaps that old T-shirt could be made into yarn which you could use to make a scarf in time for the winter? Get stitching! Everything you see can be upcycled, the secret to giving a new purpose to the clothes you already own is your creativity.

2. Considerations

There are always things to consider when starting a new project. How well can you stitch, sew, embroider or knit? Do you have the equipment you need to piece the clothes together? It is good to be prepared before starting a project, but it’s also a process. You can always learn how to use a sewing machine or master the art of embroidery; it’s trial and error, so have fun with it.

3. Experiment with your fashion style

In our era of fast fashion everyone ends up wearing the same style of clothing from H&M, Topshop, Hollister and other well-known brands. With upcycling you are not bound by the constraints of established, multinational fashion companies: you are your own fashion designer; you can stand out with your own, unique style. There is a wealth of materials, colours and ideas out there to inspire you. Have a go and show off your own unique clothing. Be bold and be you!

The most important tip of all is to respect your re-loved clothing because you have put so much effort into it. Never be afraid to get started with upcycling because there are never mistakes, only lessons.

23/10/2018

sylvie tan