UUEAS to support anti-EDL march

Union Council has voted to align the Union UEA Students (UUEAS) with the anti-fascist We Are Norwich campaign.

Responding to plans by the English Defence League (EDL) to march in the city on Saturday 10 November, We Are Norwich have co-ordinated a peaceful counter demonstration to take place simultaneously.

Both groups will march on City Hall, the EDL beginning at Castle Gardens, whilst We Are Norwich will meet at Chaplefield Gardens.

The UUEAS policy states a commitment to multiculturalism and equality, and that “opposing fascism is therefore in all our members interests. The UUEAS stands in solidarity with all community groups and trade unions opposing fascism. We should encourage students to unite with the community against the EDL and other such groups.”

The EDL announced plans to march following a decision by Norwich City Council to ban the distribution of leaflets by a United Reform Church bookstall, citing Islamophobic content.

A video posted on the EDL’s East Anglian Division Facebook page claims the ban was unfairly instituted following a single complaint “in a city with a population of thousands,” and that the group is “appalled at Norwich City Council’s actions.”

Previous EDL marches have been frequently marred with violence, and police have promised a “substantial” presence on 10 November.

06/11/2012

sophiewitts

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930