Featured Posts, Music

Spotify blog: Valentine’s Day playlist

Warning: unapologetic cheese factor of 10.

In a time gone by, a cassette of love songs recorded from the radio was the ultimate token of affection. Perhaps this playlist didn’t take as much time to make as the original article, but it aims to capture the tone of the golden age of the lovingly compiled mix-tape of love.

Marvin-Gaye

In our age of Rihanna and her public thing for S&M, and One Direction’s questionable loving lyrics, it’s easy to lose sight of how perfectly soppy and wonderful love songs can be.

This is the playlist to bring romance back into your life, roughly half an hour of music for you to pretend you’re in a film to. Indeed some of the songs are taken from iconic moments of on-screen romance, be it the perfectly over the top Take My Breath Away from the classic 80s film Top Gun, or With or Without You from that episode of Friends where Ross tries to show Rachel he’s sorry by requesting it on the radio.

Other songs, such as Let’s Get It On need no introduction. They’re simply works of super sexy genius. Love in all of its forms is celebrated, from flirtiness, to indestructible infatuation, to wailing for them.

Dusty Springfield’s sassy number Take Another Little Piece of My Heart doesn’t just celebrate standing up for oneself in a bad relationship, but also comes from the first openly bisexual popstar, something particularly relevant considering February is LGBT+ History Month.

So, put on this playlist, grab a boy or a girl or just hug yourself and celebrate everything love. For all its ups and downs and loss, a world without love would be a world without emotionally-charged music.

• Not to your taste? Tweet us or comment with your tracks and we’ll add them. Share the love.
14/02/2013

emilytucker