In a decade like no other, the past 10 years have provided us with some mind-bending, heart-rendering albums that have challenged and changed music for the better. Venue contributors tell us their favourite albums of the decade and why.

Currents by Tame Impala 

My Album of the Decade is Currents by the mighty Tame Impala. Kevin Parker is a man of many talents: making awesome neo-psychedelic disco music is one of them. Currents is a fantastic display of the synergy bass and synth can achieve, and it’s haunting, dreamy tone is perfect for any lonely winter night. 

James Ward

21 by Adele

One of the greatest albums of this decade is Adele’s 21. Hits such as ‘Someone Like You’, ‘Set Fire to the Rain’ and ‘Rolling in the Deep’ have been instrumental in creating her modern contemporary sound. I really enjoy listening to this album and appreciating the talent that Adele clearly has. 

Gabriella Williams

Blonde by Frank Ocean

After a 4-year exile, Frank Ocean returned out of the blue with a visual album, Endless, and an album of the decade contender, ‘Blonde. Misspelt in the album cover as ‘Blond, it is a 17-song masterpiece, with songs such as Nights, with a mid-tempo switch, also filled with intimate feelings and ideas about love, philosophy and loss.

Bryan Mfhaladi

Faces by Mac Miller 

Mac Miller’s mixtape Faces is his greatest project, and by far his darkest and most introspective. From the depths of his drug addiction, Mac raps cheerfully about his cocaine and marijuana use over jazz instrumentation and movie samples. The features on this project all come through, particularly Vince Staples on Rain, where he delivers a poetically blunt verse. 

Jack Oxford

The Epic by Kamasi Washington

The album that played out the rebirth of Jazz, Kamasi Washington’s debut album is nothing short of epic (certainly living up to the title). Sonorous soundscapes and with the layers of gospel and Hammond organs and nearly lasting a full 3 hours in length, it is certainly what multi-instrument jazz should be: vast, long and a joy to listen to.  

Lewis Oxley