Music, OldVenue

Venue’s Music Playlist – No. 317

The Libertines – Gunga Din
The Libertines don’t seem to have changed their sound much since making a comeback, which just goes to show how timeless they are as an indie-punk rock band, even after a huge 11 year absence. Their third album Anthems For Doomed Youth was released back in September, along with their come back single ‘Gunga Din’. Significantly less boisterous than the ‘What A Waster’ days, but they’re still the unruly Libs of a decade ago. If you want a slightly (ever so slightly) tamer version of the old school Libs, but nevertheless with a crescendo of shouty swearing at the end for you to angry power-walk to, give ‘Gunga Din’ a listen.

Disclosure – Jaded
This track from the duo’s new album release (Caracal) is a joy to listen to! With an album largely made up of guest vocalists, it’s nice to hear Disclosure completely on their own with vocals from one half of the duo, Howard Lawrence. A lot of Disclosure’s music sounds the same, and ‘Jaded’ is no different (it’s not difficult to listen out for the catchy synth and excessive use of hi-hat) – but it will most probably get you moving your hips. Disclosure continue to provide consistency. Don’t know what people want to listen to at pre-drinks? You can’t go far wrong with this track. And if you can’t go wrong with ‘Jaded’, you can’t go wrong with the entire album.

The 1975 – Love Me
The indie-pop group are back, and definitely in better spirits. Their new track ‘Love Me’ still sounds like The 1975 (they have yet to have lost their exaggerated British accent), but it seems a bit more as though they’re up for some fun, rather than being the soundtrack to the life of a hormonal teenager, which seemed to be the case with classics ‘The City’ and ‘Sex’. It’s more pop than we’re used to, with the use of quirky keyboard riffs, but this is a new sound of theirs I really love. If you’re wanting to lift your mood with some fun indie-pop, go back to The 1975.

Lust for Youth- Armida
Dutch electro band “Lust for Youth” is making their first great show of musical talent in their debut album International released in June 2014. Causing sensation in many parts of the world, they successfully mix soft feminine voices with loud, sometimes dark percussions and synths reminiscent of the 80s New Wave scene. Though their sound is closer to dance music, this tune in particular has something slightly melancholic and ethereal to it. Enjoy it on your way to lectures in the morning, I find it to be great motivation to begin the day.

Cigarettes After Sex – Affection
An ambient pop collective based in Brooklyn, ‘Cigarettes after Sex’ has arguably become one of the most under-rated bands in the last few years. Their first EP entitled Firefighter, released in 2012, has not been justifiably showcased but is a bewitching collection of songs nevertheless. The iconic voice of the lead singer, very feminine and delicate merges perfectly with the sometimes harsh and vulgar, love-related lyrics. High-pitched, rapid electronic guitars with a slow bass and consistent percussions, this track is soporific and honest.

Gardens and Villa – Maximize Results
A less recent band from California, ‘Gardens and Villa’ remains timeless. Their innovative synthpop is especially present in the track ‘Maximize Results’, a quick-paced, nervous but entrancing song. From their newest album Music for Dogs released in 2015, this track moves insanely swiftly, escalating with the height of the singer’s voice into an almost alarmingly loud screech. It’s also the mass of unusual rhythmic clapping that makes ‘Maximize Results’ a song embedded in movement and rush. Most definitely a song to let loose and get angry to.

Splashh – Pure Blue
Indie rock band from East London, ‘Splashh’ returns with their newest single ‘Pure Blue’ in 2015, an ode to their loud, statement guitars and heavy drums. Sasha Carlson’s (lead vocalist) teenage voice resonates very well with the band’s signature percussions. The laidback garage-pop is being renewed with systematic electronics, making their overall sound crisper and cleaner than their previous, dreamier, more hazy music. This is a track for enjoying the end of midterms or essay drafting: a true celebratory anthem.

Jon Hopkins – Open Eye Signal
An amazing electronic tune from Jon Hopkins’ 2013 album Immunity, that intertwines a slow progressive intro into a loud, heavy and constant beat that can just as much be enjoyed at a party as during a study session. The lack of vocals emphasises the vast, spread out track this is, and shows off Hopkins’ true musical talent. A manifest to a newfound rebirth of electronic music, ‘Open Eye Signal’ uses a sharp contrast between soft background noise-sounds and particularly strange, squarish samples at the forefront to deliver the electro track of the decade.

17/11/2015

Alice Mortimer