Sport, Sport blog

Vettel breaks more records in cruise to Texas victory

Formula 1 took on Austin, Texas for the second time last weekend. Lewis Hamilton was the unbeaten American winner but all changed as Sebastian Vettel coasted to another solid win.

Dan-20131118184333181312-620x349

The German began on pole position, with teammate Mark Webber following hot on his heels. The Red Bulls had a fantastic start but on turn 1 Webber was overtaken by Lotus’ Romain Grosjean and the Mercedes of Hamilton.

Plenty of gossip has been surrounding Formula 1 off-track as well as on off late. McLaren revealed that current driver Sergio Perez was to be leaving at the end of the season, to be replaced by rookie driver Kevin Magnussen. This shock leaves Perez with little chance of finding a drive next season.

McLaren have performed poorly in 2013 but Perez finished in Austin with a strong 7th whilst teammate Jenson Button, whose contract for next season still stands, only managed 10th. Perez has outperformed Button in six of this season’s races.

Williams also had a controversial weekend. News broke that they have signed Felipe Massa for next season, leaving Pastor Maldonado without a drive. The Venezuelan claimed he was ‘happy’ to leave the team but after a poor qualifying he linked the team to potential sabotage against him.

In happier news Valterri Bottas performed well in Austin, making it into Q3. The Finn finished 8th, accumulating his first points of the season for Williams. He produced a stunning overtake against Esteban Gutiérrez, the rookies taking on each other in incredible fashion.

Lotus’ Kimi Räikkönen is not to participate in the final two races of the season as he undergoes surgery for a back injury. Michael Schumacher denied the team after he was asked to step in and mid-week Lotus got Heikki Kovalainen on board. Kovalainen performed well, having not driven in Formula 1 since 2011, but a front wing change left him unable to achieve anything more than 15th. Grosjean was once again fantastic, finishing 2nd on the podium, ahead of Webber.

The race resulted in Vettel’s eight consecutive race win, breaking yet more records as he clinched the fastest lap from Grosjean on the penultimate lap. Vettel’s brilliance on track currently seems to come hand in hand with monotony as he remains unbeatable. Despite his sporting excellence the German is offering no entertainment for the viewer.

Next weekend the last Formula 1 race of the season will take place in Brazil. Webber will be looking to secure the win in his final ever Formula 1 race. As always Vettel will likely be out in front and it will be all to play for between Ferrari, Lotus and Mercedes to see who will steal second in the constructor’s championship.

20/11/2013

hollywade Holly has just finished her third year studying Film and English, but sadly she never did manage to procrastinate by watching every film in IMDb’s top 250. Aside from the fun of her degree Holly is known to spend an unhealthy amount of time in the LCR which she will desperately miss when she has graduated and is forced to do something adult with her life.

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31