Village Shop reopened following arson attack

The Village Shop has reopened with help from the community following the post-Brexit arson attack. Andreea Abraham, daughter of the owner, is now studying for her masters degree at UEA.

Andreea Abraham, daughter of the owner reopened the shop on 14th August with cakes to thank the community that had rallied around in support after the attack.

Andreea has since started at UEA, studying for a Master’s degree in Intercultural Communication and Language Studies.  She studied for her undergraduate at Christ Church Canterbury, where she was International Students’ Officer.

Shortly after the attack, Andreea wrote online, “What I really want to mention is that the love and the support that everyone has sent us exceeded by far the emotional and material damage that was caused by the person who decided to set our shop on fire.”

The attack took place in the early hours of June 24th. A brick was thrown through the window, shortly followed by a firebomb. Whilst the motive behind the attack remains unclear, many link the attack to the referendum result. The shop is on Magdalen Street, the most diverse street in Norfolk.

The community response in the aftermath of the attack made headlines across the country. Over £30,000 was raised, and hundreds of love hearts with messages of support were stuck to the boarded up windows of the store. On July 12 hundreds held a rally outside Norwich City Hall to show solidarity with migrants.

At the beginning of September, Norfolk police said the case concerning the shop has been closed pending further information coming to light. Speaking to the EDP, a spokesperson said they had not identified a suspect and “all lines of enquiry have been exhausted” but added that officers would “follow up any new lines of enquiry should they come to light.”

The two weeks after Brexit saw an 83 percent rise in hate crime in Norwich.

11/10/2016

meganbaynes

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930