Fashion, OldVenue

Walking in heels

[su_box title=”How not to do it” box_color=”#2D2D73″ radius=”0″]This is normally how it goes: you spot a pair of killer heels literally calling your name in the shop, and you just have to buy them. Even if this comes with severe consequences such as sacrificing food and potentially alcohol for the week… well, maybe the day. But hey, it’ll all be worth it when you’re ready to go and channel your inner Naomi Campbell, with a walk so fearsome it would make Kendall Jenner quake in her boots… Even if your catwalk is Prince of Wales Road. The deal is done, the shoes are bought, and even though you’re considerably poorer than when you set off to town you cannot wait to make your debut with your new babies Asap.

Many hours are spent finding the perfect outfit to accompany the new loves in your life. After copious amounts of sweat, blood, tears (and wine) you’ve finally found that one dress that’s going to be 100% Instagram worthy and totally blag you well over ten likes. I’ll set the scene, your big night has arrived. It’s a Thursday, and Thursdays mean one thing: Mantra, obviously. Your hair and make-up are done, you’ve just shimmied into your little number and slipped the heels onto your feet and you’re feeling pretty damn fabulous. Pre drinks have begun and your friend just put your favourite Beyoncé song on, what could possibly go wrong?

However now we must dwell on the terrible reality of it all. The taxi pulls up outside the club and you’re ready to strut your stuff. But instead of the fierce walk Tyra Banks would applaud, you twist your ankle and very nearly fall flat on your face. Of course, attempting to style it out and keep your cool you shake it off, eager to forget how much of a complete and utter fool you feel. However, in a cruel twist of fate this is when you discover that you can’t walk in your new heels. It appears that admiring them in the mirror of the shop, taking a few steps to ensure they fit properly (and posing for photos) doesn’t count in making sure you can actually walk in them. The rest of the journey on foot to the club is spent clinging onto anything you can find with dear life. Envisage Bambi on ice accompanied by the occasional terrified squeal, alongside strangers shooting you concerned glances and you’ve pretty much got the idea. However, not to be deterred, you continue as the glowing lights of the club and the mile-long queue come into sight.

Finally, being able to rest your feet whilst you wait in line you feel some relief, trying to regain your dignity and reassuring yourself it can’t get much worse. How wrong and naive you are. With hopes that after resting your feet for the last 25 minutes has somehow miraculously provided you with the skill to walk in six inch heels you make your move towards the bouncer, ID in hand. You edge yourself closer to the entrance as you’re beckoned in. However, due to trying to pass off skillful wobbling as a walk you forget to pay attention to the uneven pavement in front of you. Cue you – in the most ungraceful manner falling headfirst into the bouncer, catching him unawares and nearly sending both of you flying half way down Prince of Wales Road. So. Not. Classy. Better yet, you look down to find you’ve split your dress in the process. Hurriedly trying to regain your balance, you’re met with the face of a very puffy, very angry bouncer. Uh-oh.

Blistered, traumatised, and exhausted, it’s almost a relief when he declares you’re “too drunk” and won’t be allowed in. Of course this isn’t the case, but if it means you can go home, tuck yourself into bed with chocolate, Netflix, and no heels in sight, then you allow him to think that as you apologise and scurry away. So, after one sprained ankle, a pair of ruined heels and a seriously, seriously damaged ego the guide to wearing heels is nice and simple. Never wear them. Never, ever ever.[/su_box]
[su_box title=”How to do it right” box_color=”#2D2D73″ radius=”0″]On a more serious note there are plenty of way to make rocking your favourite heels that bit more comfortable.

For one you could go for a wedge shoe or a chunkier block heel. Thicker heels help you to distribute your weight more evenly through your feet, making wearing heels just that bit more comfortable.

One of the things that makes heels quite uncomfortable to wear, particulary in strappy heels, is the feeling that you are sliding forward in your shoes. Hair spray is a weird suggestion but it actually works. Gymnasts use this to help their leotards stick on, some make-up artists apply it to set all their hard work in place, and they can most definitley be used to temporarily stick you to the insides of your shoes.

Gel insets are a popular way to make weaing heels more comfotable. They give your feet a more pliable, cushion-like surface to rest on and they provide a grear barrier between your feet and your shoes that really help to prevent blisters.
Practice makes perfect. This is a simple solution to a very common promlem. Walking in heel is very different to walking in flats. Your centre of gravity is shifted, you’re a couple more inches off the ground, and all of a sudden your entire weight, it seems, is resting on your toes. It is perfectly okay for it to take a while to get the hang of it. Walk around in them. If you have bought a pair of shoes to wear to a particluar event, make sure to take time to walk around in them for a while. This way you can point out any problem areas. Are you sliding forward? Do they rub your feet a certain way? This way you can work your way to fixing them, or even just breaking them in.

The best advice that I can give you regarding the wearing of heels is this, be resonable. People are demanding far to much of their feet these days. If you have to walk around for hours at a time and you are still not completely comfortable in heels, don’t wear them. You will always look better the more comfortable you are in what you are wearing, so if you have to be on your feet a lot, wear your gorgeous flats with pride. If the occasion however simply calls for fabulous pair of knock outs heels, hopefully some of these tips will make your night just a little bit more easy on your feet. [/su_box]

23/02/2016

beckyevans