TV

WandaVision review: an experimental success

After watching the first episode I’ve been left very confused about the idea behind ‘WandaVision’. The series is streamed on Disney+, starring the characters Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch and Vision. Set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it shares continuity with the films of the franchise, and takes place after the events of ‘Avengers: Endgame’. The series shows Wanda and Vision living the ideal suburban life, trying to live without the use of their powers.

So therefore, with the knowledge of the previous movies, it seems impossible for Vision to be a part of the series, which is why it becomes a bit confusing. As we saw in ‘Avengers: Infinity War’, Vision died after Thanos took the Mind Stone, but Wanda was brought back in ‘Avengers: Endgame’. The fans are speculating the idea as to when the series takes place considering the knowledge of previous movies. Could it be taking place after ‘Endgame’ or ‘Spiderman: Far From Home’?

From the first episode of ‘WandaVision’, from the opening credits and theme song to the lighting of their home, the show becomes a tribute to the kinds of “wholesome,” middle class, conservative family comedies that began to proliferate on TV around the mid-1950s and often lived on in syndication for years afterwards. But the question is, is Vision alive and how have he and Wanda ended up in this strange black and white world?

The director of the series, Matt Shakman, received advice from Dick van Dyke for the series’ sitcom-esque first episodes. I like the 1950s/60s style of the episode; it is something different for the audience, the genre shows the classic happy American family, and the square screen gives a sense of the retro style, however us Marvel fans know there is something not right with the Maximoff household. This leaves us with the suspense of what is going to happen in their journey, with us being left with cliff-hangers and some things not being explained.

Overall, ‘WandaVision’ showcases how experimental Kevin Feige and the team are going to be with the Disney+ shows from this day forth. So I think it is clear that we can expect some great shows from Marvel this year.

New episodes of the series are released every Friday on Disney+ so keep an eye out.

09/02/2021

Caitlin Telford

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31