“We need you more than ever,” plea from health leaders after difficult start to 2022

Winter months are usually when respiratory infections peak. As a result, Norfolk and Waveney’s health and care system remains in a ‘critical incident’ following sustained and unprecedented pressure on services. 

Local health services are doing all they can to help people requiring treatment for Covid-19 and other illnesses while dealing with increasing rates of Covid-19 related staff absence.

Those in charge of running hospitals and other health services have detailed how local people can contribute to the smooth running of hospitals.

They have suggested helping loved ones who are well enough to leave the hospital to recover at home, or in another suitable care setting which will mean hospital beds are freed up for new patients.

Cath Byford, Chief Nurse at NHS Norfolk and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) said: “Our health and care colleagues across Norfolk and Waveney have worked incredibly hard this week and we know we still have some way to go…We ask you to protect yourself by doing what you can to help us. Getting your COVID-19 vaccination is the best way to keep well and reduce the risk of staying out of hospital. We ask that you continue to wear face coverings as per the national guidance.”

Further suggestions are to only visit the Emergency Departments or calling 999 in the case of a genuine life-threatening emergency. However, it is important for people to still seek help from the NHS if they feel unwell. In life-threatening emergencies dial 999.

The best way to get the right medical help is through NHS 111 which can direct patients to the most appropriate place. Pharmacists can give expert and speedy help with minor ailments. They can also provide over the counter remedies for minor health conditions.

Locals are still advised to attend routine and scheduled appointments as usual unless contacted with further information by the GP or hospital.

08/02/2022

Una Jones

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031