Comment: ‘We should decolonise the curriculum’

A decolonised syllabus incorporates more expressions of thought from people of black and minority ethnicities.

This should especially be implemented in the humanities and social sciences. The curriculum needs decolonisation, as we live in 21st century multicultural Britain and not in the 18th century British Empire – unless for some reason you feel like going back?

The whole point of learning is to engage with multiple opinions and create your own judgement, especially in literature, which is written by the people, for the people, and is an overarching representation of the world in its current state.

So why then is it that we are only fed a certain point of view, and why is only that considered the valid or ‘canonical’ one? Decolonisation will decrease the damaging process of ‘othering’ and dismantle understandings of ‘us’ and ‘them’.

The desire to decolonise the curriculum is not because we are just upset. Upset is when your football team loses a match, or when someone steps on your new trainers.

Expanding the curriculum is a form of empowerment, and a way to ask for more, as what we have for representation is either one-dimensional or very scarce.

13/03/2018

elodiemayo

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
  • 1
    Cookies
    Not for me
  • 2
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    We are facing a climate catastrophy, the translation or proofreading could have been done online. Decolonising seems to be used to justify all sorts of things, including bad ones like…
  • 3
    Decolonising English in Argentina
    New forms of saviourism -it never ends this perpetuating of the Global South being something that needs visits from those good-willed who want to "help" from the Global North. It…