Editor's column

Welcome to the first issue of the academic year

Welcome to the very first in-print issue of Concrete in the 2021-22 academic year. I am extremely proud to have been selected as Editor-in-Chief and look forward to leading the team throughout the coming year.

I’d like to tell you a little bit about how my Concrete journey began in the hope that it may inspire you to contribute to your student newspaper. Having felt slightly anxious at the prospect of writing my first ever article, I would encourage new writers to simply go for it. We have a wide variety of sections to write for across Concrete and Venue with something to suit everyone, no matter your degree subject or interests. I became Comment Editor in May 2020 and spent the year gaining knowledge and experience to support me in my current role.

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to the outgoing editorial team for their amazing contribution during what we can all acknowledge to be a difficult year. Despite Covid-19 restrictions resulting in the publication of just two in-print issues, the team worked as an enthusiastic and cohesive unit while managing to produce consistently brilliant content.

I had the pleasure of interviewing and training our 35-member 2021-22 team who have already produced two online issues over the summer. Between creating content calls, editing articles, uploading social media posts, and maintaining our website, I am extremely proud of each and every one of them – I look forward to seeing how they continue to flourish over the coming year.

Exciting opportunities to join our team as a Features Senior Writer, Sport Senior Writer, Copy Editor, or Online Editor are to be released in the coming days. Keep an eye on our social media channels for more details on role descriptions and how to apply.

The team have worked tirelessly to produce a wide range of articles for this issue, so I am sure there is something of interest to every reader.Personally, I interviewed two representatives from stillbirth and neonatal death charity Norfolk Sands who were kind enough to share their experiences and explain the importance of the support and guidance they provide to bereaved parents. Continuing our commitment to consistent climate coverage, our Global Editor Aislinn Wright has written a fascinating piece on the lead up to COP26 in the latest instalment of our ‘Global Investigates’ series which was started by previous Deputy Editor William Warnes. Our Breaking News UK Correspondent Addie Cannell lent her hand to our Features section to write an insightful piece on microaggressions.

Concrete and Venue are published both in-print and online every three weeks on a Tuesday. If you’d like to see your name in the next issue, you can find a detailed step-by-step on how to write for Concrete in our brand new ‘Concrete how-to guide’, which is housed under the ‘Get Involved’ section of our website. I’m also happy to answer any questions you may have via the following email address: concrete.editor@uea.ac.uk.

For those of you who are not yet members, I hope I can encourage you to take a chance, pick up a pen, and make a start. Thank you for reading this issue of Concrete.

14/09/2021

dcarter

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930