Deputy Editors' Column

We’re all in this together

Concrete spoke to campus to hear how students feel about the strikes and it seems we’re all for it. While I support lecturers’ right to safe and appropriate pensions, the opportunity to have their voices heard and the creative skill it takes to make a placard, it’s frustrating that it falls over my summative deadline. But this isn’t about me.

In this issue, Features looks at how protests have always been part of UEA. In “The history of protests at UEA” on page 11, writer Juliette Rey considers what UEA wants to fight for and how we go about it. From “die ins” to delays in pubic services, we know how to be heard.

On page 14, Finance talks unconditional offers, which is unsurprisingly a subject, like the strikes, that comes back to cash. Reports suggest that unconditional offers are being increasingly awarded to students to boost numbers and paychecks, rather than on the merit of their academic accolades.

It’s uncomfortable to be viewed as simply a bag of money, a sentiment I’m sure striking staff share. Particularly as a student who got in on an unconditional, I am beginning to consider my own role in this conversation…

And finally, for an opportunity to talk about something other than strikes and what you did differently last week, Comment wants to know if you are mad for Mantra or in love with Loft? I will admit I am partial to a Thursday night at Loft. What’s not to love about cheap drinks and karaoke? But our writers make a strong debate for both sides on page 17.

Whether you too are on the picket line, or using time strikes to catch up on deadlines, turn to Concrete for a hand working out what’s going on at UEA. We’re all in this together because we all support the strikes – right?

27/02/2018

sophiebunce

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3